Waiting on videos to buffer or load can certainly be a frustrating problem, especially when you have kids ready to begin class.
Typically this is caused by bandwidth issues or network congestion on your network. Our videos are hosted on Vimeo, which has a global content delivery network with multiple servers for redundancy and reliability. While Vimeo can go down, it is incredibly rare, and 9 times out of 10, it has something to do with settings on your end.
If you’re at a school, network filtering or other content restrictions can affect access to Prodigies. Take these steps if you encounter issues with buffering videos:
- Clear your browser cache. Many times this can fix problems with page loading, which in turn can force a reload of the video player.
- Test your network connection speed. Your speed should be 5 mpbs or better to reliably stream Prodigies. Prodigies videos are hosted on Vimeo through our website. If your connection speed is not fast enough, consult with your network or IT department, or ISP.
- Reset your network router. Sometimes traffic can become congested on your home or school network, and power cycling your network / WiFi router can reset open connections that may be taking up bandwidth.
- Determine whether the problem is in the network or the device. For example, if you’re on a laptop, try loading the same video on a different computer or tablet on your network. Then try loading the video on a mobile phone over it’s data connection. If the video works over the data connection, but not on your WiFi, then the issue lies in the network.
- SCHOOLS: ensure that network access is whitelisted to the computer / port used for Prodigies for these URL’s: *vimeo.com, *vimeocdn.com, *prodigiesmusic.com, *prodigies.vhx.tv. (TCP Port 80 and UDP port 443)
- If your device can be ethernet connected instead of Wifi, try that to see if loading is more reliable. If so, then the WiFi connection may need further troubleshooting.
- Tablets with parental controls – you may have to manually allow traffic in your parental control suite to the above URL’s for the Prodigies website and apps to load video.
- Try the backup URL which is used to provide services to the Prodigies apps: https://prodigies.vhx.tv. This site uses a simpler web interface and may work more smoothly for you, but the layout is different. If you can’t log in on that URL, see “I Can’t Log Into the Prodigies Music Lessons App.”
- LIFETIME MEMBERS: You may want to use the download hall ahead of time to download the videos by chapter and organize them into folders. While downloading can take a while, it will eliminate the need to stream them from the website, if you’re loading them from your hard drive.